I suggest that you...

OU Sync Options and Notifications - Very Important for IT!

1.) Notifications on Success and Failure for the OU Sync between Google and GoGuardian

2.) Allow Admins the ability to customize and schedule sync options, or at least have a few pre-defined time options to better meet the dynamic needs of end-users.

Synchronization of users is absolutely vital. Due to an unknown error with the Google <-> GoGuardian OU sync process, we experienced several technical difficulties ranging from students appearing offline to not being applied correct filters. In the web user interface the users were showing up under "Unknown" Sub-OU. These were existing students that somehow were corrupted.

None of this was discovered proactively, it was only reported after there was an issue of students not being filtered and not showing up in classrooms.

As Google Admins, we IT people rely heavily on notifications. Our school has multiple systems running and we cannot manually check if the nightly sync worked correctly or not.

Most of our problems could have been resolved, preemptively, had we received a notification indicating that the Sync failed and that we need to manually re-run it to fix the issues.

Additionally, being able to control when these syncs occur would be incredibly beneficial to our organization. We have other syncs going on, SIS -> Active Directory -> Google, etc. and if the GoGuardian sync happens before we want it to, it could sync outdated information.

43 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Sisson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    launched  ·  AdminGoGuardian Admin (Admin, GoGuardian) responded  · 

Thank you for your feature request and/or vote. This feature is now available to all GoGuardian Admin users! After logging into Admin 2, you will notice a ‘key’ icon in the top right — next to your username. Hovering over the key will provide more OU sync details and the ability to force a re-sync or re-authorization if a failure occurs. Feel free to reply to this email with any questions. We have more improvements coming shortly. – Zach

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric De Boer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just experienced a lack of notification for two explicit alerts and one self harm. We didn't notice the issue until 10+ days after it happened. Support said that the issue was because the sync didn't work, even though the users in question had not been moved since the last successful sync in August.

FEATURE REQUEST: Anytime the key turns red, indicating an unsuccessful automatic sync, the admin should receive an email notifying them to do a manual sync.

• John S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently triggers break if Google OU's are reorganized and then resynced. In effect any school that reorganizes its OU structure and re-syncs with GG just broke alerts.

THIS SHOULD BE POINTED OUT in flaming red text here https://goguardian.com/account/s
        ettings/OU or wherever a sync can be initiated from.

Adding a little message to these pages could save a lot of heartache

• Steve Arel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had an issue involving self harm notifications. A student was flagged for self harm activity, which notified area supers. The area sup contacted the elementary that this child was shown to be in goguardian, but find out the child had graduated to middle school this year. Luckily it was caught early, but this could have been a very bad situation. Please allow for static sync settings for a dedicated sync account, as well as create sync status/failure notifications. This is very important.

• Michael Sisson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had another sync issue yesterday. Didn't find out about it until a teacher reported that a student is showing offline and is not being filtered.

If only I would have received a notification.

• Jalyn Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had issues importing my OUs from Google Admin to GoGuardian and was back and forth with support for a few days. Turns out importing in Classic View worked!

• Ben Houseward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. We had this happen around the same time I think, and lots of users were not assigned an OU and thus no policy. Only after seeing a website I knew to be blocked in a user's history did I dig deeper to figure this out.

Also, I would like GoGuardian to match the Google OU using the unique orgUnitId instead of the OU Name. Renaming an OU in Google Admin caused all those students to have the default profile applied on the next sync. If there were notifications on changes to IT admins I might have caught this right away.

• Michael Sisson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google has all of the student information, such as names, emails, grades (or organizational units, aka OU), and then that information is synced over to GoGuardian.

If this information is not synced correctly, bad things happen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Would vote on this if I had even a remote clue as to what it means. Love from Jurrasic Park.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm one of the teachers who has experienced syncing issues, so I'd love it if this were fixed! Thanks so much!

Feedback and Knowledge Base