I suggest that you...

Create a simple page for teachers that has a URL checker (to see if the URL is unblocked for a student).

Create a simple page for teachers that has a URL checker (to see if the account is unblocked). We do not have the teacher product and would love the ability for teachers to check URL's before teaching with a site that could be blocked.

59 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Doug RoskeDoug Roske shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joshua BiermanJoshua Bierman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be HUGE
        I spend so much time either explaining to a POed teacher that what she is trying to do RIGHT now is blocked and she needed to check with me first, OR checking on lists of items that are already unblocked for teachers who did the right thing and submitted them in advance.
        If the teachers could check on their own, they would only submit in advance those items that are blocked.
        a simplified design:
        1) in the policy, have a checkbox that says "include this policy on check page"
        2) on the check page, a text entry that allows a url to be placed and then a list that says clocked/open next to each of the listed OUs/policies/whathaveyou

• David KennyDavid Kenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this would be a useful functionality for teachers. The nuance I would add for consideration is that filtration always comes down to at least 2 layers: 1) The site categorization that comes down from GoGuardian (which changes through time, based on feeback from site administrators, recategorization requests, etc.) and 2) the accommodations that are made to any given school or district account with GoGuardian and whether or not a site has been whitelisted or blacklisted for that school or district. Showing teachers the categorization of a site (as determined by GoGuardian) isn't going to be helpful if they don't know what categories are blocked (given the age of the student, which school they attend, etc.). If you're going to build out a feature that will show teachers what sites are accessible to their students, it's important to show the teacher not just the GoGuardian categorizations, but also whatever local accommodations (by local GoGuardian administrators at the district-level) have been made within the GoGuardian filter for that organization.

The complexity is going to come in when GoGuardian administrators at the district-level start making accommodations at OUs more discrete than AllUsers. Or have different filtration allowances for 6th-8th grade students versus 9th-12th grade students (or K-5th grade students for that matter). Effectively, teachers are going to have to be able to navigate OUs to find their students in order to tease out exactly which allowances pertain to their students.

Feedback and Knowledge Base