I suggest that you...

Create a simple page for teachers that has a URL checker (to see if the URL is unblocked for a student).

Create a simple page for teachers that has a URL checker (to see if the account is unblocked). We do not have the teacher product and would love the ability for teachers to check URL's before teaching with a site that could be blocked.

126 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Doug Roske shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge timesaver for us - we currently keep a Chromebook configured as a student to determine of they actually accessed the page.

• Jaime Kikpole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this to both the teacher and admin interfaces. As the head of the IT dept., I need to be able to answer the question, "Why was this blocked?" Being able to say, "That URL (or domain) is listed in the XYZ category," allows me to better advise the teachers and principals. It also helps us all make more informed decisions on what categories we should be blocking.

Ideally, the system could even allow the teacher or admin interface to report a false hit (blocked & shouldn't be) or a false miss (not blocked, but should be), so that we could give more feedback into your filtering algorithm. We could even contribute data about what categories things are in.

This next part might be too much to ask, but if the teachers could suggest categories that a URL or domain should be in, but those suggestions went to their local IT dept, that would cut down on a lot of false reports. I can see some teachers reporting that a thing isn't "social media" or "games" because within the context of their lesson and their intentions, the site isn't. However, the site really is a game 99% of the time.

• Tami Strobel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to give them the ability to allow the sites they want to go to for assignments in the classroom.

• Kevin Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Build it in to your teacher product. If they paste in a url or youtube video check it against our policies and have it give them feedback

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My thought here with this request was a public URL we would not handout to parents. It would be great if it worked by student account, but even by OU would be useful as well.

Thanks,

• AdminGoGuardian Admin (Admin, GoGuardian) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All, few clarifying questions:

I am guessing that this would need to be a public URL. Would that be OK? Parents and students could access? Or would you want it to be password protected?

Would you want users of the page to be able to select their relevant OUs? Or a student's email address?

I am having a bit of trouble imagining the user experience of this page. Does anyone have examples?

• Joshua Bierman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be HUGE
        I spend so much time either explaining to a POed teacher that what she is trying to do RIGHT now is blocked and she needed to check with me first, OR checking on lists of items that are already unblocked for teachers who did the right thing and submitted them in advance.
        If the teachers could check on their own, they would only submit in advance those items that are blocked.
        a simplified design:
        1) in the policy, have a checkbox that says "include this policy on check page"
        2) on the check page, a text entry that allows a url to be placed and then a list that says clocked/open next to each of the listed OUs/policies/whathaveyou

• David Kenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this would be a useful functionality for teachers. The nuance I would add for consideration is that filtration always comes down to at least 2 layers: 1) The site categorization that comes down from GoGuardian (which changes through time, based on feeback from site administrators, recategorization requests, etc.) and 2) the accommodations that are made to any given school or district account with GoGuardian and whether or not a site has been whitelisted or blacklisted for that school or district. Showing teachers the categorization of a site (as determined by GoGuardian) isn't going to be helpful if they don't know what categories are blocked (given the age of the student, which school they attend, etc.). If you're going to build out a feature that will show teachers what sites are accessible to their students, it's important to show the teacher not just the GoGuardian categorizations, but also whatever local accommodations (by local GoGuardian administrators at the district-level) have been made within the GoGuardian filter for that organization.

The complexity is going to come in when GoGuardian administrators at the district-level start making accommodations at OUs more discrete than AllUsers. Or have different filtration allowances for 6th-8th grade students versus 9th-12th grade students (or K-5th grade students for that matter). Effectively, teachers are going to have to be able to navigate OUs to find their students in order to tease out exactly which allowances pertain to their students.

Feedback and Knowledge Base