I suggest that you...

allow blocking of entire top level domains.

I find that many times the students are navigating to sites which should be blocked but are based on one of the new custom TLDs such as .click or .website . It would be simpler to have the option to default block many of them and then whitelist what we would like opened as opposed to blocking each of the new websites as they have just modified their domain names.

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim Warren shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  cody responded  · 

Thanks for the request. You can currently add wildcards to your blacklist, such as * 123movies * (without the spaces, this forum converts the text to bold if I move them next to the word) which would block all the variations of 123movies – 123movies.com, 123movies.click, 123movies.co.au, 123movies.xyz, 123movies.io, etc. Is this what you are looking for?

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joshua Bierman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

according to ICANN there are 1215 GTLDs with another 89 in the pipeline.
        default block would be nice, defualt block with check box to remove fromt he blocklist would be REALLY nice.

• Andy Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've made some progress towards this today with Dillon from Support.
        I'll use .se as an example.

Block: ww*.*.se
        This means that fmovies.se is blocked, so is ww1.fmovies.se, but www.seek.com.au is still allowed.
        I'm not certain that is a perfect solution yet, and I'm sure that engineering can continue on working on an actual fix. As a workaround this has been helpful.

This definitely does not fix something like ww1.mangafox.com, I'm yet to crack that one.

• Tim Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I am asking for is for a way to block wildcards only on a specific part of the website address, the top level domain between the last period "." and the forward slash "/" The top level domain for this website would be ".com" http://ideas.goguardian.com/forums/

While wildcards are a vast improvement and appreciated, it would be nice to have a way for wildcards to only affect the final part (top level) of the domain. If we can block the entire ".click" domain, we wouldn't have to know the name of the movie site. Whether its 123movies.click, or 152movies.click, or 123m0v13s.click

I do have the following wildcarded:

* .tv
        * .io

I don't live in Iowa, so the ability for them to get to sites like www.iowa.gov is not a priority, however it is caught up because of the wildcard to try and catch all of the agar.io and slither.io and webcamera.io and either.io and tlk.io

I do however live in Tennessee and the * .tv wildcard caught www.tva.gov. I white listed it and moved on, however there may be other legitimate sites being blocked that I do not know about.

2 and 3 letter wildcards are far more likely to block legitimate site.

I am from a K-12 organization. I have high school students searching for college information. A few months ago I had a few students visiting a new proxy site. The address kept incrementing by 1 or 2 every day. onlinecollege1093.info . I'm hesitant to wildcard "onlinecollege". I'm also hesitant to wildcard ".info" as currently implemented because the risk of false positives is too high when that searches the entire address. I would feel much better about blocking "*.info" if it only applied to the tld.

• Corey Poole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you only need to add the name, such as in your example 123movies? Or is there a special wildcard like * that needs to be added to this?

• Admin TLM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Perhaps there should be a wildcard syntax like the google built-in whitelist/blacklist in admin console. *.website

Feedback and Knowledge Base