I suggest that you...

Policy and Filter Scheduling (In vs Out-of-School filtering)

Allow users to be assigned separate profiles in and out of school so that different filtering needs can be met throughout the day.

For example, we would like to have a more restrictive profile for our students while they are at school, and then relax it after hours rather than disable it altogether. Conversely, allow the ability to disable browsing during certain periods (midnight to 4am) when students should be asleep.

88 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Reno BlairReno Blair shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    launched  ·  Product TeamAdminProduct Team (Admin, GoGuardian) responded  · 

Thanks for requesting scheduled filtering! It is now available in Admin 2.0 at admin.goguardian.com/policy/assign/default. You can now set time and IP address settings for when students are “in-school” vs “out-of-school”. We also completely redid the interface in order to fit the needs of your schools and districts, making it simpler and faster to set up filtering settings. Please try it out and let me know if you run into any issues!

We are going to be working on single student filtering soon!

Cody
    Product Manager for GoGuardian Admin

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one problem we have been discussing how to handle. Parents don't want certain sites blocked at home but we need them blocked during school. Can't wait to check this out in Admin 2.0.

• Adam TowellAdam Towell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems that the geo location service that helps with thefts could also be used to see if a student's Chromebook is physically located in the building, and apply different access based on location, and time of day of course.

• Candy ChevalierCandy Chevalier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow administrators to turn off access to any resources during a time frame. For instance, students like to use their accounts all through the night. Parents have requested that we cut off access at 10:00PM to 5PM as an example.

• Bill HendersonBill Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like title says. Block pretty much any and all games during school hours. Then after hours allow a list of sites.

This could be accomplished by local network filter then GoGuardian but that can get hairy and I feel like I lose some functionality.

• Chee Keen LauChee Keen Lau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Goguardian has been an invaluable tool to manage and monitor students in my school. There is an increasing demand by both teachers and parents to restrict the use of Chromebooks by individual students through the number of hours or predetermined time each day. Can it be done?

• Jenny NelsonJenny Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to block sites or categories for certain time periods, for example block movies/ music from 8:00-3:30.

Add me as a +1 for this feature....we'd love to be able to enable Netflix for the kids to use at home and while we can manually remove from blacklist, add to whitelist and reverse 2x a day I don't want to introduce all that potential to not turn it on or off (human error). We'll be waiting and hoping!

• Mike DaughertyMike Daugherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this allow for a "curfew" feature? I.e. I could have a profile for students that locks down the internet after a certain time each night?

• Jonathan OglesbeeJonathan Oglesbee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see something like this setup. We would like to lock down the kids browsing to just the sites we allow during the school day, but open it up to other "fun" sites after school hours.

• Jeffrey ThweattJeffrey Thweatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! The sooner the better! This is a feature we had last year and the students certainly miss it. Let me know if I can provide any feedback or help test. I would imagine the easiest route would be allowing the administrator to input the school/district static IP. Any traffic from there is filtered one way and any traffic from any other IP address is filtered another...

I would like to see if it would be possible to have a setting that would disable a device by a schedule or IP filter. I would like to disable a device if the user is using a chromebook in a certain OU that should not go home when the public IP is not the Schools address. I would also like to see a report notification that will trigger when a device is found reporting a different IP than the schools.

• Jeffrey ThweattJeffrey Thweatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't be too hard to implement. The location can be determined by IP address. Almost all schools have static IP addresses that the traffic comes from. When the device is not using this address the device can be placed into another filtering policy. This would allow both an "At school" and "Not at school" policy.

• Joe ReedJoe Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge want for our school. I've been trying the demo and want to find the best solution for us moving forward. As a private school we have luxury of giving our students some freedom, this would allow us to give them that freedom while ensuring the bad stuff is always blocked.

• John HoughJohn Hough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that a filtering by time would be beneficial. Location would have it's merits as well, though for us it wouldn't be used because on or off campus the chromebooks go through our web filter.

• Nicole TreeshNicole Treesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow for custom filtering based on location rather than either "filter at school" or "filter at school only." For example, we block games and entertainment at all times, but we would like the option to allow those things during certain periods of time or when not at school.

Feedback and Knowledge Base