I suggest that you...

Provide device details in theft recovery sessions

When multiple devices are reported as lost/stolen, sometimes the theft recovery session does not have enough information to track down the device (especially now that the webcam had to be removed due to privacy concerns). Having the session report the device details would provide a way to tell apart the missing devices as well as provide better reporting to link to police reports where necessary.

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarah WalterSarah Walter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    launched  ·  Product TeamAdminProduct Team (Admin, GoGuardian) responded  · 

Thanks for requesting Device Details in theft recovery sessions! We just released a completely new version of theft recovery in Admin 2.0 which syncs your device data from Google (serial numbers, asset ID, assigned user and more) and shows this info about each missing device. In addition, you can now mark devices as missing WITHOUT needing to move devices in the Google Admin Console. You can try out the new theft recovery here: admin.goguardian.com/theft-recovery.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christie MorrisChristie Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you have more than one device that is in the "Stolen Device" OU, when you are sent an alert, you have no way of knowing which device has been recovered.
        The screenshots may help a little.

• Kevin ChristopherKevin Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The loss of the camera option was the death nail for this feature. It does no good to get nothing but locations and a screenshot of the google search screen. It's funny how a thief has an expectation of privacy, but I can figure out which of the 30+ patrons at a busy Starbucks has my Chromebook.

• Scott RipleyScott Ripley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The theft recovery screen has very little useful data - you can't delete sessions after the device is recovered. I have set to notify me when the device is found, but I never get notified. - I know notifications are set up correctly as I am getting notified on flagged terms.

• Zennea ChettaZennea Chetta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! this is very difficult to track the devices. The ones that are removed from the missing devices OU should also no longer be in the list or put in an archived list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base