I suggest you ...

Students cannot open additional tabs, so they have to stay on just the one tab

Making it so that students cannot open additional tabs, so they have to stay on just the one tab

683 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jacqueline Myers shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    launched  ·  AdminProduct Team (Admin, GoGuardian) responded  · 

Hello!

Great minds think alike! We are happy to share we have officially launched our new “Scenes” feature that allows you to manage a student’s tab usage and prevents them from opening additional tabs. This new feature also includes other useful tools such as having the ability to auto-open tabs, and provides even more ways to manage site accessibility in your classroom. Our goal is to help you worry less about keeping kids on task so you can focus on what you do best…teaching!

Check it out and please let us know what you think!

- Nickelle GoGuardian Teacher Product Manager

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Blair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing this feature is inconsistent with my classes. Some students are restricted, while others are not restricted to my "classroom settings". Giving a quiz today, I blocked ALL sites except for my target page, limited ALL tabs to 2, and several kids were able to browse additional websites and multiple tabs during my "active scene". Could other teacher settings overlap (due to their settings/timed restrictions or allowances) and cause issues that I'm experiencing with my studnets?

• Curtis Ivey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? It's been about 5 months since the last comment and when it was listed as started.

• Tamara Savage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got an email update saying this has been started, but I don't see an option for using it...just the usual lock screen/unlock screen/open tab/exclude options... how are we supposed to do this??

• Jennifer Schultz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tyler Shaddix: I think that both options are viable, depending on the teacher. One tab only would allow teachers to easily see what they are all working on, but with flexibility.

One website only, on a single tab, is something that I, and many of my colleagues, are interested in. We use Canvas in my district, and for certain disciplines, it is harder to use that for assessments if they are easily able to go to other sites and look up answers. I.E. Locking them onto a single tab that can only access Canvas would disrupt their ability to use a translator in a foreign language class.

• Josh Law commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ADMIN: I see this has not been commented on by admin in a few months, is there a time-table for when this feature will be released as I see it is planned.

• Jacqueline Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Missy Stearn: The ability to be able to give them an assessment and be sure they aren't looking elsewhere!

This is exactly what I would like to be able to do. I use Schoology to administer assessments, and I would like to be able to limit them to just that tab. We can send out a specific tab and force it to open on all their computers, I would like to be able to keep them there, and there only.

• Scott Boucher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am testing 2 systems currently, Go Guardian and Hapara. Not having this option is the deal breaker for us. Is this in the works, if so I need a timeframe as we are looking to buy now.

• Scott Boucher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the teacher to be able to push down a tab and then lock them to any tab the teacher has pushed down to them, blocking/blank screening any other tab.

• Julie Erskine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option to lock a student on one site would be perfect to keep them on task, But it would need to be easy to turn on and off each student individually to work in most applications.

• Amber Kunzweiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use Google Drive. This would be a great feature to use while students are taking notes. They'd be locked to their note-taking document instead of trying to email friends or play games. The timeline features is wonderful for catching students off task after the fact, but by then they've already missed the lecture. A page lock feature would be a great proactive measure.

• Brandy Tripp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have them locked to one/two sites while testing or working in small groups. It would help the teachers with those sneaky kids.

• Missy Stern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to be able to give them an assessment and be sure they aren't looking elsewhere!

• Christian Lowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a feature that controls the number of tabs allowed by each student.

Example: Let's say you have students taking a math test, quiz, or any online work through MyOpenMath, but would allow them to use a certain online calculator or look up a lesson video from your LMS page. It would be nice to be able to lock everything else out except the pages that you send to the students to open and work on.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base